In this age of everything wireless, you could be forgiven for overlooking existing technologies when considering your communications needs. New innovations are the ones that grab the headlines, while the tried and tested sit quietly and do their thing. Ethernet leased lines are one such technology.
Ethernet leased lines have been faithfully serving businesses for years. Comprised of either copper pairs or fibre, they connect your business directly with an internet Point of Presence (POP) for fast, secure access to the internet. Delivered directly to your door and offering bandwidths of between 1Mbps to 10Gbps, these lines are what keeps businesses communicating.
So why would you want Ethernet leased lines over newer technologies? Here are five reasons why.
1. Security – Security. The byword of the 21st century and something every business of every size, everywhere has to consider. An Ethernet leased line is yours and yours alone. You do not share it with others, your traffic is not broadcast through the air for anyone to access and nobody will be able to see what you’re transmitting without physically tapping the line. Fixed lines are the most secure way to communicate right now.
2. Reliability – Most Ethernet leased line vendors offer in excess of 99.9% uptime with strict SLAs to cover you should anything happen. Most networks use diverse routes, intelligent networking and multiple POPs to ensure you’re always online. We all know how patchy wireless connections can be. That’s no good for mission critical applications.
3. Futureproof – As much as anything can be these days, Ethernet leased lines are relatively futureproof. They are just the conduit through which we connect. If protocols or router technologies change, the lines can change with them. If speeds increase, most newer lines can cope.
4. Support –Most Ethernet leased line vendors continuously monitor their networks and use bots or monitoring services to detect failures, intrusion, attacks and quality. This will be backed up by experienced engineers and 24/7 support teams. All with the same intention, to keep you online.
5. No usage limits – Ethernet leased lines are traffic-agnostic. They don’t care how much you use them or what kind of traffic you send. Your traffic is unlimited and you don’t have to suffer contention or share your lines with other businesses. You control exactly what you use and how you use it.
6. Wireless within your building -Ideal for your local devicesand the internet connection is powered by the secure leased line. Wireless isn’t an alternative to a fixed/leased line however, it is something you can use in conjunction with a leased line.
Ethernet leased lines offer real, tangible business advantages. If you would like to explore these further, contact Excalibur today. Our communications experts are here to help!